Less is More

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Totally corny (haha, pun intended!) but true! I don't know if I've mentioned this before or not, but I always make a big pot of soup, usually on the weekend, and that's what I have for lunch all week. The past couple of weeks, my soup of the week has been really spicy. This week, I really wanted something more mild, but soothing and comforting too. Plus, I've really been missing summer and the farmer's market and fresh corn...what's a girl to do? Well, in times like these, I'm extremely grateful that my mom cut the corn off of several corn cobs this summer and froze it. I get to enjoy summer corn in the winter! There's nothing like it! :)


Creamy Corn and White Bean Soup

Ingredients:
3 cups vegetable broth
3 ears of corn, corn cut off the cob
2 cans reduced sodium white beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp vegetable broth powder
1 tsp minced onion
1/2 tsp lemon juice
Pepper to taste



Directions:
Throw everything in a soup pot and heat until boiling. Pour into a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!


These fudgy bites taste just like cake batter. My mom and I couldn't keep our hands off of them! :)

Double Chocolate Fudgy Bites
(adapted from Angela's No Bake Chocolate Macaroons)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1/8 cup raw organic cane sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
3 Tbsp. almond milk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate, melted






Directions:
Mix dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined. Use a small scoop to scoop out about 1 inch balls. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Freeze for 20 minutes. Melt the semisweet chocolate in a double boiler. Dip the balls in the chocolate. Keep refrigerated. Enjoy!

P.S. A tip about recipes: use whatever you have on hand. Take the recipe and make it your own. Don't be afraid to experiment. I think of recipes kind of as guidelines, but I like to scribble a little outside of the lines too. :)

P.P.S. I tried experimenting with some props with these pictures, but ended up liking the simple pictures better. I really like showing off the food. Plus, I'm a newbie at this taking pictures of food thing. Maybe I'll get the hang of creative food styling as I go, but for now, I'm going with uncluttered, clean, and simple. :)

3 pieces of love:

Lindsay said...

YUMM! This would totally satisfy my sweet tooth! hehe. Nothing wrong with a little chocolate fix once and awhile :)

Sierra said...

Nosirreebob! A girl's just gotta have her chocolate sometimes! ;)

tan said...

Oh my word those look so yummy!!

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged...I love making new friends and receiving feedback! :)