Tips and Tricks

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

So, I promised someone that I would post what has worked for me so far in my weight loss, so here goes:

1. First of all, be kind to yourself. No beating yourself up! When something doesn't work, try it a different way.

2. Baby steps. I have worked on getting the plant food based diet thing down this first month, now I am going to try to get exercise down.

3. Don't deprive yourself! Make a dessert every once in a while.

4. Eat mostly veggies, whole grains, and beans with some fruits. This ensures that you will be able to treat yourself at the end of the day with dessert.

5. Avoid very processed foods and make processed foods a once in a while treat. The longer the ingredient list, the worse it is for you. I have found I have lost the most weight the weeks that I have eaten very simply.

6. Go for a walk in the park every day. It can be a stroll, whatever. Just do it.

7. Keep your stress levels down. Stress builds fat around your midsection, which is not conducive to weight loss!

8. To keep motivated: Keep reminding yourself why you are doing this. Post a picture of you at your lightest (or heaviest...whatever works for you) on the fridge, in the bathroom, wherever you can see it and be reminded that you want to be your healthiest. Also, read other people's success stories and motivating magazines or books as much as you can.

9. Find someone that is supportive. Even if it's online, it gives you good energy and lets the bad energy from negative people roll off your back.

10. Only weigh yourself once a week. Any more than that, and you might be discouraged.

11. When you get the urge to snack, distract yourself. Drink water or go for a walk. If you really need something, make airpopped popcorn or dip veggies in hummus.

12. Listen to your body. For example, when my muscles are twitching or cramping, I eat a banana, because my body is telling me it needs potassium.

13. Keep a journal. Write how you are feeling, any accomplishments you have made, goals, etc. It feels like a friend when you don't really have a support system.

14. Get enough sleep! Research has shown this aids in weight loss. Get at least 7.5 hours every night.

15. Stop eating at least 3 hours before you go to bed. This lets your body do repair work while you are sleeping instead of digesting. Plus, you won't wake up feeling bloated.

16. Find a recipe and cook it. The feeling of accomplishment from mastering something in the kitchen carries over and you will want to do it again and again. Try new foods and vegetables. Quinoa is a recent favorite of mine.

17. Walk tall. Feel proud of yourself for making such a great change! It boosts your confidence.

18. Don't be afraid of healthy fats, such as avocado, EVOO, etc. A protein and a fat in the same meal really satisfies your tummy! Plus, we need about a tsp. of flax oil a day for omegas.

19. Eat really slowly and at the table. This helps your brain register when you are full and keeps you away from distractions that might cause you to eat more.

That's what I have so far. I will try to add some more if I think of it. If this helps anyone or if you have any tips for me, please comment!

Peas and love, Sierra

1 pieces of love:

Savannah said...

All great tips! I didn't know that when your body is twitchy it means you need potassium. My shoulder and knees twitch every so often, I'll remember the banana bit the next time that happens! :)

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed and encouraged...I love making new friends and receiving feedback! :)