lightly adapted from Vegan and Gluten Free Brownies from Oh She Glows
Note: I multiplied Angela's recipe by 1.5, so some of the measurements are a little weird. I just guesstimated the best I could. Also, they came out a little dry, so next time, I would add a little more liquid.
2.25 tbsp ground flax + 4.5 tbsp water, whisked
1 cup + 5 tbsp brown rice flour
2.25 cups almond flour
3 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch may work)
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup + 5 tbsp Earth Balance
1.5 cup organic cane sugar (or just use white sugar)
3/4 cup + 1/2 cup non-dairy chocolate, divided
1/2 cup almond milk
1 rounded tsp espresso powder (or instant coffee granules)
1.5 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips
3 tbsp Earth Balance
1/4 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment and grease all sides. In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flax and water and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flours, arrowroot, cocoa, salt, baking soda).
3. In a large microwave safe bowl, add chocolate and Earth Balance and melt in microwave for about 30-45 seconds until melted. Stir well and add in flax egg, sugar, vanilla, espresso powder, and milk. Whisk.
4. Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and stir well. The mixture will be VERY dry, but not to worry keep mixing! Now fold in the pecans and remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
5. Scoop thick batter into prepared pan and place a piece of parchment on top. Spread with hands or a pastry roller until smooth and even.
6. Bake for 35-37 minutes at 350F and allow brownies to cool completely in pan.
7. For glaze: melt chocolate chips, butter, and vanilla in microwave. Spread glaze over the top. Form "bones" out of almond marzipan or fondant. Add a candy (or glass) heart. Enjoy! :)